Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hiking Little Ranger Peak w/my Dad & Miss Lucy!


  I did a little research to find this hike as it is not mentioned all that often or is that popular of a hike with regard to other's in the area. I wanted to find a hike that had a good view at the top, the right length in distance/elevation so Dad could hike it without too much pain the day of and the day after, as well as a new hike that I have not done before. I do not get down to the eastside of Mt. Rainier that much so a change-up was due.
  I personally did not like the drive past Enumclaw as the entire mountain range seemingly was clear cut at some point in the not so distant past. Talking percentages, I would say 95% was clear-cut...ugly destruction. The good thing about going this route from Bothell is that one does not have to drive I-5 through Tacoma or Olympia. It is always a gamble driving north or south on I-5 which can add hours to travel on any day at any time.
  As for the trail itself, it was in great shape without any major areas of rocks or roots on its path. I would personally like to come back to this trail and include a trail run past Little Ranger Peak. The grade is not that great which make the switchbacks long and easy to hike or run for that matter.  But, this day was strictly hiking to Little Ranger Peak. Most of the trail included some secondary old-growth with the last major cutting probably around 40 years ago or so. Thankfully, some of the older trees were spared the sawtooth.
  I did read somewhere that this trail was very green and lush. I would say that it was not as it is on the eastside of Mt. Rainier therefore a large percentage of the rainfall is sucked up on the westside of the mountain. It is green but not much and not a lot of ferns and moss that is typically found in wetter climates of the west side of the mountains in Washington.  Beautiful none the less. There was one slow running stream that you will cross about five or six times on the way to Little Ranger Peak and a bigger stream; Ranger Creek on the lower portions of the trail.  Although the trail does not go directly to Ranger Creek, a short and easy scramble will lead you to a beautiful section of this stream. I would love to do a little trail blazing and follow Ranger Creek out towards the trailhead near White River for a few miles. I am sure it is a constant array of beauty along this stream with a few challanging falls along the way!


























Until next time my friends...
ADVENTURE ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment